home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Friday, May 31, 2002

A Time to Be Thankful for What You Have, and With Whom You Share It...



A dear friend of mine was worried today, and nearly all of last week. She was worried because she feared her job would be lost. Knowing her, I knew the timing was bad, and I knew she must be a mess inside. Prayers were said. Hopes were steadied. Concerns were shared. What if...? Well, the time is over, and she was spared the corporate ax. She and I are both thankful for that fact, but it made me think (as I am prone to do).

Many times, I have that classical Israelite mentality from the Old Testament. This stinks. That is not good enough. This has to change. Et cetera. After listening to her, and knowing how crushed she was to lose some of her co-workers in a classic example of corporate downsizing, I realized something. Life ain't that bad. Not really.

I'm not homeless. I'm not starving. I'm not sick. I'm not unemployed. I have a terrific family back home, and an unbelievable set of friends who would stand beside me, no matter what I did, or whom I angered in the process. Despite myself, they are always there.

Amazing, truly. Not that I have such a wonderful life, but that I can find the time in it to complain. I'll probably still do it, as we are all prone to do. But I just wanted her to know, and every one of my friends out there. Today, I am thankful. Thankful for you all. God bless you always.


Today, I want to post something this same friend sent me. It is a series of philosophical truths. Some may apply to you. Others may seem silly or trite. In any case, here they are.


  • Learn the rules and then break some.
  • Remember that your character is your destiny.
  • Remember that the best relationship is one where your love for one another is greater than your need for one another.
  • Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
  • Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.
  • When you realize you have made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
  • Marry a man/woman you love to talk to, as you get older, their conversational skills will be important.
  • Spend time alone.
  • Open your arms to change but don’t let go of your values.
  • Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
  • Talk slowly but think quickly.
  • Call your mom.
  • Remember that great love and great achievement do not come without great risk.
  • When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
  • Remember the three r’s: respect for self; respect for others; responsibility for all your actions.
  • Don’t let a little dispute ruin a great friendship.
  • Read more books and watch less TV.
  • Live a good, honorable life. When you get older, you will look back and enjoy it a second time.
  • Trust in God, but lock your car.
  • Read between the lines
  • Never interrupt when you are being flattered.
  • Mind your own business.
  • Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck.
  • Memorize your favorite poem.
  • Don’t believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want.
  • When you say “I love you,” mean it.
  • When you say “I’m sorry,” look the person in the eye.
  • Be engaged at least 6 months before getting married.
  • Believe in love at first sight.
  • Read between the lines.
  • Labels:

    .: posted by Dave 2:31 PM





    Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

    Contact me through Guru.com.




    Opinari Archives


    Recommended Reading


    Blogroll Me!












    Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

    This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!