home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Saturday, October 26, 2002

What a farce....


The time has come. College football is dear to my heart. Only someone from Lincoln, South Bend, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, etc. can understand. Perhaps that's why my northern compatriots think I am nuts. They don't get it. I don't expect them to either.


This commentary isn't for those people. It's for the zealots I referred to above. I've been watching college football this year, and it's sickening. It really is. Not because my team (the Tennessee Vols) are having a subpar season. It's sickening because the game has not caught up with the times.


I have watched bad call after bad call, game after game, week after week. Sometimes, I think I live in a Bizarro-world, where only I understand the reality of the game, and the black-striped men who call themselves officials are simply ignorant of the rules. Fumbles become completions. Fourth-and-ones magically morph into first-and-tens. Downed knees inexplicably rise from the ground, as if they never made contact.


Then, every week, I look at the polls, and realize that the voters don't know anything about the teams they profess to be watching. One team that deserves a shot at a title is told that it cannot have that shot. Another with a weak schedule is rewarded with a spot in a million-dollar game. Politics decide who plays for the championship. All others are left in the cold, never knowing what "might have been".


This I say to the NCAA: It's time to grow up. It's time to become part of the reality, instead of holding on to "tradition". Instant replay was incorporated into the NFL because they knew it was necessary to rectify calls of poor judgment. Every team sport in the world uses a playoff system... except one. Yours.


The sport I love has become nonsensical, and downright ridiculous. As a fan, an alum of a major NCAA college, and as a sensible person, I implore you... join us in the 21st Century. Make this sport the exciting event that it should be, without leaving a bad taste in the mouths of those of us that might (because of some of this nonsense) need a metaphorical "breath mint". Instant replay and a single elimination playoff would do wonders to keep me minty fresh.

Labels:

.: posted by Dave 9:04 PM





Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

Contact me through Guru.com.




Opinari Archives


Recommended Reading


Blogroll Me!












Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!