home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Friday, April 30, 2004

Color me skeptical. Google's IPO has been the big buzz among techies this week, especially with their Dutch auction way of distributing the shares. Two points:

1) I don't much care for the Dutch auction, since I have to go through one of two big brokerage houses to offer on the IPO. Why can't I buy into it without opening a $10,000 brokerage account? How is this getting the "little guy" into Google stock? Answer: it isn't.

2) Remember Red Hat's IPO, which sprang to well over $200 per share? Well, I do. Several of my friends bought into it. (I told them not to buy into a company that offers a FREE product, but that's another topic.) I think Google will be very volatile initially, and then will eventually value around the $10-15 that is being projected for the IPO.

Melanie Hollands of the IT Manager's Journal says:

If it were me, I'd buy whatever I could get in the IPO or at the opening bell and flip out of it ASAP. But as a long-term hold (long-term meaning in this case anything more than a few days), I wouldn't touch it.

I concur.

Labels:

.: posted by Dave 5:14 PM





Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

Contact me through Guru.com.




Opinari Archives


Recommended Reading


Blogroll Me!












Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!