home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Tuesday, September 30, 2003

I've been thinking a lot lately about family issues, particularly regarding how best to raise my son. I think it helps to be preemptive, and plan, as opposed to taking things as they come. Perhaps the most important aspect of parenthood that occupies my time is that of education.

I've been in school myself in some form for about 95% of my life. Learning should be encouraged in everyone, from child to senior citizen. I hope my attitude about learning is passed on to my son.

That being said, I don't see this attitude about things scholastic in our society anymore. It is as if the desire to work hard, and study, and push children in the right direction has been replaced by acceptance of mediocrity. Socially indoctrination has replaced intellectual cultivation. Is this what I want for my son? Not on your life.

So what course will my wife and I take? I have no question that educating my child at home is the best, if not the only, alternative. This belief is fostered through observation of the youth of today, and noting that they have become far too deficient in their abilities to reason, and, more so, their desire to do so. We've become a world of instant gratifiers, and children expect more, sooner, and with minimal effort. Bringing all children in line with the lowest common denominator is conducive to such things, as children become used to succeeding without being pushed, in the name of "self esteem".

This is not what I want for my child. I want him to learn that success is about learning, but more about working as hard as you can to attain it. I want him to know that his mother and father care more about his well-being than anything else, and the best way to guarantee that well-being is to teach him to be self-sufficient, without being self-important. I want him to become the best he can become, not be held back due to a system that encourages mediocrity. I want him to have a safe, encouraging, and pleasant environment for learning, not one that wreaks of fear, self-loathing, and continues to "search for its identity".

Look at the statistics. American children are near the bottom in their mastery of science and math in the Western world. Literacy in our own language is challenged almost daily (just look at a few business marquees, and you will see for yourself.)

Friends and co-workers have questioned my position of the matter. What about socialization? Social skills are gained in many ways. Osmosis is definitely not the most desirable, especially when talking about kids. Children socialize everyday. Libraries, churches, scout meetings, and neighborhood gatherings are good examples. And don't forget the dozens of homeschooling co-ops that exist these days.

Finally, I asked myself the question: do I want my son learning social skills from like-minded children, or from people he respects, and loves? This answer to this question is a no-brainer. There is no one better to teach a child than the family whom he loves, and with whom he feels most comfortable, and secure. No amount of state-funded social engineering will ever change that.



UPDATE: From the Wall Street Journal, Brendan Miniter explains the need for teaching effective social studies to our kids. Note the word "effective". Here's why my son will not be learning civics / history / political science in a public school:

Social-studies theorists seek to create social activists. Students need not know the facts to be effective change-agents; they're taught that facts are a matter of opinion. Indeed, they need only believe that they are correct as they reject the tenets of society. The result? Elementary-school lessons that use Thanksgiving to teach that we owe redress to American Indians.

Miniter illuminates my angst towards our education system rather brightly.



UPDATE part deux: AlphaPatriot demonstrates his own frustration toward those who believe that more money is the answer to academic excellence. Further, he elaborates on what the real issues are in public education:

What is not said here but is of supreme importance is the encouragement that parents give to their children to not only pass in school, but to excel. The other half of the equation is the creation of an environment where teachers can teach, which means disciplining or kicking out disruptive students that frustrate teachers.

This is exactly why I am such a proponent of home education.

Labels:

.: posted by Dave 12:58 PM





Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

Contact me through Guru.com.




Opinari Archives


Recommended Reading


Blogroll Me!












Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!