home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Friday, July 23, 2004

Posting has been light lately because, well, I am reading several books at the same time. I just finished the Rule of Four, and Kill the Messenger (both entertaining), and I am currently reading Airframe (I'm trying to catch up on my Crichton) and the inimitable Michael Moore is a Gargantuan Obscene Waste of a Human Life.*

So far, I have to say that I am honestly appalled by the work of Moore. How anyone can take him seriously is beyond me. Well, come to think of it, I can. If you are partisan, and you want to believe something about someone you hate, then Michael Moore definitely appeals to your populist tendencies.

I haven't finished the Moore book yet, but when I read the way he manipulated the Charleton Heston interview, it reminded me of the movie, the Running Man. In the movie, the footage of police officer Ben Richards (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger) is manipulated to make him appear to look like the bad guy. When there were food riots by starving people, Richards wanted to help them, but was rebuffed and he was subsequently sent up for insubordination, or something akin to it. What happens when Richards goes on the "Running Man" gameshow is that his character is made to look as if he is the one who wanted to fire on the innocent people. This was accomplished with the help of video editing, sound dubs, and some magic pixels.

The point is Richards was neither complicit in the killing of innocent people, nor was he the evil character which was depicted by the networks, which had a stake in maintaining their ratings by killing the most heinous villains of their day, and doing it on the barbaric "Running Man" game show. Similarly, Moore (as the network) has done his best to manipulate the images at his disposal (in this case, the interview with Heston) to make him look as terrible as possible. Something tells me Moore was born a few decades too early; the Nazi propaganda machine could have used his skills to further their message of Aryan supremacy.

It is unfortunate that this tripe even has a market, albeit one which already subscribes to Moore's visions of conspiracy.

* Note: If Moore can paraphrase and misinterpret, so can I.

Labels:

.: posted by Dave 9:27 PM





Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

Contact me through Guru.com.




Opinari Archives


Recommended Reading


Blogroll Me!












Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!