home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Tuesday, July 20, 2004

There is an interesting discussion on Slashdot about RSS.

Infoworld's CTO Chad Dickerson says he has a love/hate relationship with RSS. He loves the changes to his information production and consumption, but he hates the behavior of some RSS feed readers. Every hour, Infoworld "sees a massive surge of RSS newsreader activity" that "has all the characteristics of a distributed DoS attack." So many requests in such a short period of time are creating scaling issues.

From personal experience, I can say that I have seen this happen when the RSS aggregator either has no options for limiting feeds, or the user has improperly configured the software. When running a local RSS aggregator, my 400 or so feeds can really bog down my system, especially if I haven't updated in days. That's really why I went over to the web-based aggregator (BlogLines) instead.

Labels:

.: posted by Dave 3:41 PM





Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

Contact me through Guru.com.




Opinari Archives


Recommended Reading


Blogroll Me!












Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!