home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Saturday, July 31, 2004

Today, the family and I spent the day driving to New Hampshire, mainly so that our son could relax in his car seat and get some much needed rest, and also to visit the closest Chick-Fil-A. We are obsessed with their chicken nuggets... so sue us.

Anyway, it was a very productive day, in terms of family bonding. I really look forward to these days as a respite from a very fatiguing weekday schedule. When we got home, I read the Knoxville paper, and I came across this article about a father who is now trying to care for his daughter without his wife, who was killed in an automobile accident just over 2 weeks ago. Stories like these come and go in local newspapers across the land. But something made this one stand out... this man is my best friend from high school.

After I saw the article, I decided to call Greg, as I hadn't talked to him in years, and I wanted to offer my condolences. I cannot imagine what I would do if I lost my wife. I spoke to Greg and I could hear the pain in his voice, and the sheer fatigue of the ordeal. I did not understand his pain, because I have not felt that sort of emptiness in my life, and I hope I never do. But I did understand, as a husband of a wonderful woman, the kind of hole that would be left were she to meet a similar fate.

I hung up, and I cried to myself. I cried because I love my wife, and the thought of losing her hit me at that moment. I cried because I wished beyond all else that I could somehow help my friend regain his wife, the mother of his child, the person to whom he had showed such devotion and love for nine years. But all I could offer was my thoughts and prayers. Tonight, I am giving those to him.

I am happy to have regained a long lost friend today, one that I intend to correspond with for many months to come. I just wish it could have been under decidedly different circumstances.

There is a scholarship fund that has been created for Greg's daughter, Cynthia, in honor of her mother, Greg's wife, Heather. Anyone interested in contributing to the fund can do so at any First Tennessee Bank location. First thing Monday morning, I am going to send a check. It's the least I can do.

Labels:

.: posted by Dave 10:18 PM





Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

Contact me through Guru.com.




Opinari Archives


Recommended Reading


Blogroll Me!












Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!