home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Monday, March 07, 2005

Podcasting has been a big thing lately, and will likely only get bigger as media outlets of all sorts join the fray. I have been subscribing to Adam Curry's Daily Source Code, Engadget, and 1src. For the time being, most content seems to be geek-oriented, which doesn't bother me one bit actually.

However, I have been wishing for a way to podcast broadcast content. Initially, I did so using a little app called AudioFeast. AudioFeast offers some free content, and some paid. Fortunately for me, the single feed which I wanted was free, the Wall Street Journal This Morning. However, this little tool hasn't really satisfied me, as I want to customize the feeds of the broadcasts I choose. I mean, if the broadcast is streamed free online, why shouldn't I be able to capture it as an MP3 and podcast it?

Enter Replay Radio. Replay Radio has hundreds of online broadcasts in its database, and you can add more if you like. Think of it as TiVo for radio. Now, I already have a Sirius radio, but some of the content I want isn't yet available there. So, let's say that I want to hear the Information Overload Hour from the Neal Boortz show. Maybe I also want Clark Howard, or Bruce Williams. Or, in a fit of liberal voyeurism, I decide that Air America belongs in my audio archives. I set the presets on Replay Radio, schedule the recordings, and voila... instant podcasts. I was even able to record the Lady Vols' win over LSU by recording the WNOX feed. And (shhh... don't tell anyone) I have been successful at recording Sirius' broadcasts online, although they max out at about 128 Kbps quality.

All in all, Replay Radio is well worth the $29, especially if you like podcasts, and want something more than the mostly geekish fare.

Labels:

.: posted by Dave 1:51 PM





Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

Contact me through Guru.com.




Opinari Archives


Recommended Reading


Blogroll Me!












Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!