home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Today, Michael Silence links to Smijer in a post concerning the death penalty. Most death penalty debates I have had have centered around the argument that executions do not deter murders. This is not an argument that I find particularly engaging because I couldn't care less if the death penalty is a deterrent. If a murderer is going to kill, he is going to kill.

There should be stringent controls on the process, and every effort should be exercised to determine the guilt or innocence of the accused. Wholesale executions have the adverse affect of desensitizing society to the taking of human life.

That beind said, I believe that executions in extreme cases have two positive results: justice and a guarantee. It is just in the sense that the executed party received an appropriate sentence for the crime. It is a guarantee that some left-leaning liberal judge isn't going to grant clemency, or that some incompetent prison guard isn't going to be looking the other way when the convict escapes.

If John Wayne Gacy or Ted Bundy kills my child, I want to make damned sure that he never walks the streets again. Furthermore, I want to ensure that the punishment fits the crime. It is this that compels me, and thousands of others, to support the death penalty.

Labels:

.: posted by Dave 2:04 PM





Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

Contact me through Guru.com.




Opinari Archives


Recommended Reading


Blogroll Me!












Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!