home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Bye Bye Mobile ESPN:

Yes, that’s right. Mobile ESPN has been terminated as of the end of 2006.

Mobile ESPN was a bad idea, a niche market within a niche market. Techies and sports don’t always mix – I’m proud to claim myself as a fan of both. Techies who are willing to fork out bucks to carry around on-demand sports content are few and far between. Even I didn’t succumb to the Mobile ESPN craze.

So what would have drawn me to a Mobile ESPN subscription? How about allowing me to view the content on my choice of mobile device? I certainly was not willing to buy a broadband phone when I already have a Treo 650. Perhaps podcasting Sportscenter for a subscription fee? I already listen to some ESPN podcasts, such as PTI. I might pay a small fee for a portable version of Sportscenter for me to watch in the morning. But exorbitant pricing coupled with forced conversion to new hardware? That’s just a bad business model. And that’s why I didn’t buy into ESPN Mobile, and thousands of other sports fans didn’t either.

Labels:

.: posted by Dave 3:50 PM





Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

Contact me through Guru.com.




Opinari Archives


Recommended Reading


Blogroll Me!












Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!