home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Friday, December 28, 2007

Buy American, You Insensitive Clod!

Today was spent with my oldest son, Ethan, doing some shopping and such. After we had a chocolate malt, I stopped at a local grocer to buy butter for my wife. When I was getting out of the truck, I was approached by an elderly gentleman who began the following exchange:

Man: Excuse me, son, I see you are driving one of those foreign trucks. I'd like to ask you to buy American next time you buy a truck.

Me: Yeah? Why is that?

Man: We're losing $19bn per year because of those Japanese car makers...

Me: What about the assembly plants here in Texas?

Man: Those parts are assembled here, but made overseas!

Me: What about the global economy? Jobs that can be done cheaper overseas should probably be done there, right?

Man: I've been studying this for twenty years, and I warned that this would happen, and people like you just won't listen.

Me: But I did listen, by buying a Toyota that will last years longer than a (looking at the man's truck)... a GMC.

Man: Grumble.


Ethan seemed oblivious to the whole conversation, which was fine with me. I didn't want to belabor the point, so while the man fumed, I walked into the store, and bought my American-made butter from my American cashier.

There's not really a point to all this except to say that, well... when I go to the grocer, I'm probably not in the mood for political prosetylization. I just wanted some butter. And a little time with my son. So if you happen to want to sell me on the merits of "buying American", please don't do it in a grocery store parking lot.

Labels: , ,

.: posted by Dave 3:13 PM





Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

Contact me through Guru.com.




Opinari Archives


Recommended Reading


Blogroll Me!












Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!