home | archives

Opinari.net

Opinari - Latin term for Opinion. Opinari.net is just what it seems: a cornucopia of rants, raves and poignant soliloquy.


Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In the last week or so, I've been acquainting myself with a brand new MacBook Pro. I decided that I needed one machine to run all of the various OSes that I use, so this was my choice. So far, I'm impressed.

But there are, as expected, some quirks that I have to overcome along the way. On OS X, I've grown to like the Spaces feature, which effectively segregates my workflow in four distinctly hidden screens. However, I am a keyboard junkie, and I prefer to access it using the F8 key. This is well and good, until I realized that iTunes was popping up every time I tried to access Spaces.

Well, it turns out that F8 has dual uses on the MBP. In this case, it also... yes, activates iTunes. Using the 'fn' key on the lower left corner of the keyboard activates the function key. Yes, I know, this is commonplace on today's consolidated keyboards, but for whatever reason, it didn't occur to me until I perused the Apple website.

Alternatively, if you don't want to use the special functions, go to System Preferences | Keyboard and check the box in the picture below.

I prefer to have my full keyboard functionality, but this was very frustrating. Fortunately, if you're reading this, and you use a MBP, you won't share my frustration.


.: posted by Dave 9:44 PM





Need ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, or Access development?

Contact me through Guru.com.




Opinari Archives


Recommended Reading


Blogroll Me!












Proudly blogging on a Treo 650 using Vagablog 1.9.

This page powered by Blogger, and yours should be, too!